इदं पवित्रं पापघ्नं पुण्यं वेदैश्च संमितम् |
यः पठेद्रामचरितं सर्वपापैः प्रमुच्यते ||
- This Ramayana is holy, sin-eradicating, merit-endowing, and conformable with the teachings of Vedas. Whoever reads this Legend of Rama, will be verily liberated of all sin..
IN Sanatana Dharma, there is two great epics known as Ramayana and Mahabharata. We always loved to read, listen and narrate and re-narrate the stories of these two greatest epic of Bharatvarsha.
We have so many books on Mahabharata & Ramayana including novels, retold, folklore and self-cooked books, however we always loved to read original content which is proved as most authentic version (none of can be original one) of any text in Sanskrit and It’s translation in various language like HINDI, ENGLISH, TAMIL, FRENCH, JAVA etc.
So we are going to list all the available famous translation and Sanskrit version based on Valmiki Ramayana and Vyasa Ramayana. We are not listing any Retold, novel or any research book here.
Ramayana is also known as Sita-Charitram & Paulatshya Vadha (Ravana Vadha).
काव्यं रामायणं कृत्स्न्नं सीतायाश्चरितं महत् |
पौलस्त्यवधमित्येवं चकार चरितव्रतः ||
- That sage with observed sacred vows has rendered the entire epic in the name of ‘Ramayana’, ‘Sublime Legend of Seetha’ and ‘elimination of Ravana’.
Ramayana’s Book – Online Resources
Online Dow-loadable resource (Free of Cost) in Sanskrit with Critical Text.
- The Balakand –
- The Ayodhyakanda –
- The Aranyakanda –
- The Kiskindhakanda –
- The Sundarakanda –
- The Yuddhakanda –
Online readable source in HTML Sanskrit & Roman:-
- Hindi Translations with Sanskrit text by GITA Press
a. Balakanda to Kishkindha Kanda
b. Sunder to Uttar Kanda
- English Translations with Sanskrit text by late Desiraju Hanumanta Rao
1. Bala Kanda ( Book of Youth) [77 chapters]
2. Ayodhya Kanda (Book of Ayodhya) [119 chapters]
3. Aranya Kanda (Book of Forest ) [75 chapters]
4. Kishkindha Kanda (The Empire of Holy Monkeys) [67 chapters]
5. Sundara Kanda ( Book of Beauty ) [68 chapters]
6. Yuddha Kanda ( Book of War ) [128 chapters]
- English and Sanskrit Text – Valmiki Ramayana Developed by IIT Kanpur –
a. Valmiki Ramayana
English translation by M.N. Dutt
Valmiki Ramayana in Sanskrit by Padmabhushan Acarya Baldev Upadhya
Valmiki Ramayana in Hindi & Sanskrit by Chaturvedi Dwaraka Prasad Sharma
- Bala Kand I
- Ayodhya Kand Purvardha
- Sundar Kand
- Yudha Kanda Purvardha
- Yudha Kanda Utraardha
- Uttar kand Uttraardha
Ramayana English Translation by Hari Prasad Shashtri – The Ramayana
Yoga Vashishtha aka MahaRamayana
a. Yoga Vasishtha – Part 01
b. Yoga Vasishtha – Part 02
c. Yoga Vasishtha – Part 03
d. Yoga Vasishtha – Part 04
- Yoga Vashishth in English
Please help us to add more into the list.
Jai Sree Ram Janki